• Deep Listening Institute Participant (Pauline Oliveros, director), NY, 2003
• Ph.D. (Music), The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, 1989.
• M.A. (Music), University of Cambridge, England, 1989.
• M.A. (Music), The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, 1987.
• B.A. Hons. (Music) with Choral Exhibition, Clare College, University of Cambridge, 1985.
• Director of Artist Services/Innova Recordings Director, American Composers Forum, 1991-
• Consultant for Science Museum of Minnesota Biomusic Committee, 2005-
• Consultant/producer for Musicmavericks.org (MPR) website, 2003
• Represented Minnesota Composers Forum as first US arts organization to set up links with Vietnam, 1993-94.
• 2015 Civitella Ranieri Fellowship in a 15th Century castle in Umbria
• 2014 Minnesota State Arts Board grant for Music to Play, seven sonic playground events at the Minnesota Childrens Museum in conjunction with the Blue Man Group
• 2013 MRAC Next Step and McKnight Community Development grant for The Scope, Kinetic Sculpture at Beacon Bluff. Commissioned by St. Paul Port Authority through East Side Arts Council.
• 2013 MSAB Arts Learning grant for instrument residency with Blue Man Group at MN Children’s Museum
• 2011 Artist Initiative Grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board Legacy Amendment funds
• Resident sound-artist for UBEATS biomusic program: National Science Foundation-funded music and nature curriculum development, UNC-Greensboro, 2009, 2010, with Dr. Patricia Gray. Created forest performance events with 60 adults and children: Walk on the Wild Side. Presentations at National Geographic Society, DC; Notebaert Nature Museum, Chicago; Louisville Science Center, KY.
• Selected public artist for Public Art Saint Paul’s Artist-Scientist Hunting/Gathering Walks to develop collaborative installations for the promotion of sustainability around the river.
• Nominated for USArtist Fellowship, 2009
• Nominated (30 out of 500) for Maker’s Quest 2.0 (new media commissions), Association for Independent Radio Producers, 2009
• Science Museum of Minnesota commission for Wild Music exhibit 6-channel soundtrack, opened March 2007, touring museums and natural history centers through 2012
• Minnesota Public Radio Classical Music Initiative: "Music and Nature: A Natural History of Listening" radio show and Web site (musicandnature.org)
• 2003 Bush Foundation Artist Fellowship in Music Composition
• 1998 FORECAST Public Artworks R&D Stipend to develop prototype Sonic Playground
• 1995 Jerome Travel Study Grant to research sound-sculpture in Australia and Western Samoa for 7 weeks
PUBLIC ART EVENTS/COMPOSITIONS (selected)
• Minnesota Childrens Museum videos: The Pirate Song, St. Paul Song.
• The Sun Palace: A Tribute to Cragmor Tuberculosis Sanatorium, multi-media hyperopera premiered at the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs. Film version: thesunpalace.org
• Lilacs and Lightning, for piano and smartphone. Composition for Twin Cities Pianos on Parade installations.
• Car Horn Fanfare for eight ArtCars to open the Northern Spark Festival, St. Paul.
• Duluth Harbor Serenade, community soundscape event for DS Pride Festival.
• Writing Out Loud, interactive sound sculpture commissioned by Iowa Book Marks UNESCO City of Literature.
• Sewer Pipe Organ, music for storm drains commissioned by Public Art St. Paul
• Talking Benches, playable park benches for Lake Phalen Poetry Park
• Commissioned K-12 Public Artist by the Ordway Center for the Arts for the Flint Hills International Festival to construct sound art installations in residence with Twin Cities schools. The Magic Mirror of Life (2010); The Singing Garden and Talking Plant (2009); Rumble Strip and Sonic Playground (2008)
• Wild Music, Bio-Music exhibition soundtrack commissioned by the Science Museum of Minnesota; served as consultant on development team for entire exhibition.
• Eternity wind-powered sound installation (2-channel tape version, 2008), Sound Symposium, Newfoundland
• Harbor Symphony #1 for 6 ships' horns, St. John's Harbor, Newfoundland
• Cannon River Eddies, sound/visual installation for the Cannon River Watershed Partnership Festival, Northfield, Minnesota
• Hentracks on Eternity, long string installation, Burning Man, Black Rock Desert, Nevada
• Marimba Benches for Phalen Poetry Park: acoustic park bench marimbas for the East Side Arts Council, Saint Paul
PUBLICATIONS AND RECORDINGS
• Music of Shadows (innova 250), 2014
• Ghostly Psalms (innova 246), 2012
• Requiem for a Requiem (innova 244), 2011
• Stuck (innova 799), 2011
• Henry and Mimi at the Y (innova 120), 2006
• Habanera: A Sound Walk in Old Havana, Cuba (innova 204), 2004
• P.P.S. for Organ and Tape (innova 524)
• Composer, director, producer, or performer on over 500 recordings of contemporary music; numerous broadcasts and appearances on international TV and radio (e.g. BBC 1, BBC 5, NPR, MPR, Voice of Vietnam, KTCA, Radio Albania, Gannett News Service).
• Author, editor, producer of internationally-acclaimed series: Enclosures: Harry Partch (innova Recordings, 1995-2007), The Henry Brant Collection, The NYFA Collection, and author of articles in international music and art journals (e.g. Arcana IV, Perspectives of New Music, The Ky XXI, Artpaper, Dirty Linen, Destination Vietnam, Rough Guide to Vietnam, Rough Guide to World Music, Grantmakers in the Arts, Gramophone Explorer Magazine, Songlines, LA Times).